Countries of Experience
Fineline has international experience that covers the following countries in eastern, central, southern and western Africa: Kenya; Uganda; Tanzania; Benin; Ghana; Ethiopia; Malawi; Namibia; Somalia; South Africa; Zambia; Zimbabwe and Democratic Republic of Congo.
However, our consulting vision is not limited to these areas only but we aim at providing sustainable solutions to poverty at the global platform as well.
Summary of Our Key Previous and On-going Assignments
Training and Technical assistance
- On-going since 1999, National Microfinance Bank, Tanzania: Institutional refocusing on microlending and training of operations, finance, audit and management staff of Tanzania’s National Microfinance Bank - now the lead institution in the provision of microfinance in Tanzania.
- Ongoing from 2006, FINCA International (Africa region): Design and implementation of training to operations and management staff of FINCA based on FINCA’s lending policies and procedures (in Congo D.R.C; Malawi; Tanzania; Uganda; and Zambia).
- 2004- Ministry of Co-operatives and Marketing, Tanzania:
- January 2003 – September 2004, CMF, Kampala, Uganda: Specific training and Technical assistance in market research and product development to Operations, Finance, Audit and Management staff of Commercial Microfinance Ltd (Uganda).
- Kwale/Taita/Kitui Districts MFI Capacity Building 2003/2004. Contracted by DANIDA/GOK (MEDP/MFII) to train and provide technical support in market driven microfinance product development to MFIs supported by DANIDA/GOK’s MFII project
- February 2003, INAFI Africa, Nairobi Kenya: Training and technical assistance in Market Research and Product Development to MFIs drawn from all INAFI operating areas in Africa
- October 2001 and February 2002, MicroSave Africa (MSA) in partnership with Swisscontact: Theory and field-based training to the marketing team of Equity Building Society (now known as Equity Bank Ltd).
- November 2001, MicroSave-Africa: Technical support to the Kenya Post Office Savings Bank in the pilot testing and rollout stage of its newly developed ‘Bidii’ savings product.
- May 2001, MicroSave Africa: commissioned study on; ‘HIV/AIDS- Responding to a Silent Economic Crisis among Microfinance Clients’- A study of the Effects of HIV/AIDS on Microfinance Institutions
- Strategic Business planning for SACCOs and micro finance institutions including; KUSCCO, Kilifi SACCO, Kenya Bankers SACCO and Jitegemea Credit Scheme.
- Training and technical assistance for microfinance institutions – for a broad range of clients in the Eastern, Central, Southern and Western African countries that includes: The National Microfinance Bank of Tanzania, Equity Building Society of Kenya, Kenya women Finance Trust, Uganda Women Finance Trust, Khula Enterprise Finance of South Africa, Central Bank of
Market Research for Product Development, Impact and Institutional Assessment
- June/July/August 2009: USAID-Funded AED-ACDI/VOCA (GEMSS) – Southern Sudan. Institutional assessment of Finance Sudan Ltd (FSL) and Sudan Microfinanice Institution (SUMI) and development of appropriate training and technical assistance programmes for each organization
- 2009, SCC Vi (East Africa Region): Evaluation of their funded projects in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania to increase provision of financial services to rural communities.
- January – February 2008, SCC Vi: Market research on demand and supply of micro-insurance in East Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda).
- September –December 2007, MESPT: Review the MESPT guidelines for ABD loans and the actual implementation of these guidelines as in accordance with the ABD design document, and funding agreement (MOU) between MESPT and the RDE.
- August 2007, Financial Sector Deepening, Uganda: An Assessment of the Capacity Gaps in the Work and Functions of Accountants and Auditors of Ugandan SACCOs.
- August / September 2007: Market Research for Product Development training and field research for SACCOS/MFIs Training and technical assistance provided to Nest Sacco, PostBank, WEDCO MFI and Mwingi Mwalimu SACCO
- 2006, Kenya Women Finance Trust: Market Research, Product Development/Refinement and Institutional Refocusing
- August – December 2006: Contracted by K-Rep Development Agency (KDA), Kenya, to conduct a Training Needs Assessment (TNA) for its Operations, Finance, Audit and Management staff working with KDA’s Financial Services Associations (FSA)/Village Banks;
- July 10 – 26, 2005: Market Research for Product Development training and field research for SACCOS/MFIs Training and technical assistance provided to Kingdom Sacco, Kwale Teachers Sacco, Sunlink, FedhaLink Finance Ltd, Co-op Bank (Cofep)
- August 2005: Market Research, Product Development/Refinement and Institutional Refocusing for Kenya Women Finance Trust
- October – December 2005, SNV-Kenya: ‘Study on Microfinance Products within Pastoralists communities’- The study involved a thorough research on the demand and supply sides of financial Services within specially selected pastoralists’ operating areas in Kenya. The study aimed at establishing rationale for development of microfinance products and financial services for the pastoralists’ communities in Kenya.
- November 2004, Contracted by World Vision International to assess the institutional capacity of Wisdom Microfinancing Institution of Ethiopia for transformation into a deposit-taking microfinance institution and develop a transformation strategy
- September 2004, Contracted by ITDG to evaluate the viability and sustainability of enterprises associated with Waste in Nairobi under UNDP Waste Management Programme.
- May 2004, contracted by Kenya Business Development Services (USAID) to undertake a Census/Survey of Avocado Sub-Sector in Maragua and evaluate the potential for export market. The outcome for this feasibility study is a landmark report showing Maragua avocado production capacity, names of farmers, network for transport and pictorial display of clusters
- April/May 2004 Training in Market Research and Product development for Danida-Supported MFIs in the Cost and Eastern Provinces
- April/May/June 2004: Market Survey to determine the nature and scope of demand for microfinance in Samburu Division, Kwale District, Cost Province to assist MEDP/DANIDA/GOK design an appropriate microfinance intervention for the area.
- Aug/Sept/Oct 2003: Market research and new product development and refinement for World Vision’s SEDA MFI in Tanzania
- Aug 10 – 26 2003. Market Research for Product Development training and field research for SACCOS/MFIs Training and technical assistance provided to National Microfinance Bank (Tanzania), SNV Uganda, MEDP(Danida, Kenya), Consolidated Bank
- Feb - March 2003: Providing market and product development training to INAFI (International network of Alternative Financial Institutions) network members from in East, Central, Southern and Western African countries
- Jan 2003, Contracted by MicroSave-Africa to conduct a study of money transfer systems in Kenya and provide advice on possible product options for microfinance institutions
- Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2002: Contracted by MicroSave and SwissContact as part of the team to provide Training and Market research, new product development, pilot testing and rollout for Equity Bank (then Equity Building Society)
- 2001, RDI/Stock Watch, OAU/IBAR / EU: Survey of micro credit needs among households participating in Farming in Tsetse Controlled areas in Kenya (FITCA-Kenya) in western Kenya. Survey also involved institutional analysis of the microfinance institutions operating in the target area.
- September/October 2001: Contracted by Microsave-Africa to review and document the process and outcomes of Kenya Post Office Savings Bank’s market research, product development and pilot testing of Bidii savings product.
- May/June 2001: Contracted by MicroSave to conducted research to determine the effects of HIV/AIDS on microfinance in Uganda and Kenya
- April2001- June 2002: Market research and new product development, pilot testing and roll-out for Faulu Kenya
- January 2001, Fineline commissioned own feasibility study to look into alternative mechanisms for building and strengthening the capacity of SACCOs to deliver microfinance. The outcomes of this study led to Fineline’s business Programme for working with SACCOs in institutional capacity building in market driven microfinance product development
- 2001, Association of African Agricultural and Rural Development Banks (AFRACA): Survey of commercial banks in Kenya already involved in microfinance to identify their reasons for getting into microfinance, document their product and risk profiles and institutional adaptations made for delivery of microfinance, and also document the number of customers reached by the banks.
Market linkages and business development services
- Ongoing since 2006 - Fineline Rural Reach Ltd: Transformed business development services to commercial enterprise and has been training and linking farmers of passion fruits and vegetables with exporters.
- Kenya Business Development Services (KBDS): Fineline is managing the market linkage project for Avocado Fruits in Maragua-Thika district.
- Ongoing since 2005- Kenya Business Development Services (KBDS): Fineline is managing the market linkage project for mango Fruits in Makueni district.
- Ongoing since 2004- Kenya Business Development Services (KBDS): Fineline is managing the market linkage projects for Passion Fruits in Embu & Meru Districts, Eastern Province.
- Ongoing since 2004- Kenya Business Development Services (KBDS): Fineline is managing the market linkage project for Mango Fruits in Lamu District, Coast Province.